Wednesday 17 April 2013

Asian Taste

If you know anything about me, you probably know that I have a total obsession with sushi. Unfortunately, where we live there isn't a ton of nice, cheap sushi shops to feed my addiction. To solve this dilemma, a couple of my girlfriends and I decided to try our hand at some home made sushi...and it was (if I may say so) every bit as good as my local sushi joint!



We decided that we would do different combinations of smoked salmon, asparagus and avocado. Divine. To recreate these yummy treats you will also need some "sushi rice" or calrose rice, sheets of seaweed, mayo mixed with sriracha and a bamboo sushi roller. If you don't have a bamboo one like us, you can easily do the same motion with a slightly damp dish towel. You will also need a really sharp knife!


 

First, make your rice per the directions on the package and let it cool for at least 20 minutes. If it's not cool I find that it is harder to get it to stick to the seaweed.
 
 Next, smooth out your rice on the paper leaving about half an inch without rice on one of the ends. On the opposite end add your filling. I like to add the sauce first so it all sticks together!



If you use asparagus don't forget to steam them! Ours were still pretty crunchy after steaming them but it ended up being a nice contrast to the other softer fillings.



Now comes the tricky part: rolling. It is pretty hard for me to explain this process in words but I've found a handy little video for you to learn from. It takes a bit of getting used to but I promise it isn't that difficult!


And chop! Make sure you wet your knife each time to get a clean edge.



Now I'm not saying I'm a pro, but these were definitely tasty. If you give this a try I'd love to see your finished product! Leave a comment with any tips/ tricks you have picked up on your own sushi-making adventures!

xo,

Emily

1 comment:

  1. :D looks amazingly yammi !

    www.facebook.com/GloriaAgostina

    www.gloria-agostina.com

    ReplyDelete